Friday 26 August 2011

Personal Media Use and Production Diary



Day & Time
Medium
Location
Activities
Thoughts
Monday (8 August)

8-9pm
Reading news on BBC online, Blogging
Home
Listening to songs in the background
Torture camp in Zimbabwe is discovered! Why are people so cruel??

Tuesday (9 August)

4-7pm

Reading news on ABC online, Facebook
Home
Listening to songs in the background
OMG!! The Riots in UK are so bad!
Tuesday (9 August)

9-11pm

Blogging
Home
Blogging with the TV on in the background
Still can’t get over how bad the riot in the UK is!
Wednesday (10 August)

3-6pm

Twitter, Reading BBC online news, Blogging
Home
Blogging while listening to songs
Wow a 98-year-old woman earned Judo’s highest degree black belt!

Wednesday (10 August)

9-11pm
Facebook, YouTube
Home
Chatting with friends on Facebook while watching videos on YouTube

Russell Peters is too funny!
Thursday (11 August)

5-9pm
Facebook, Tumblr, watching ABC news on TV
Home
Taking a break from assignments, checking out tumblr after a long time while the ABC news runs on the TV.

Watching the parliament session held in UK with regards to the riots. I think David Cameron is an awesome Prime Minister!!

Friday (12 August)

6-9pm
Blog-hopping
Home
Watching TV whilst looking through other  blogs and chatting on skype with friends
Watching ‘big bang theory’ at the background, wondering how could anyone be as geeky as Sheldon Cooper
Saturday (13 August)

3-3.30am

Reading news on ABC online
Home
Having a sleepover, talking to friends while reading the news!!
Reading the article about Daniel Morcombe’s disappearance in 2003 - I’m happy that his murderer has been caught!
Sunday (14 August)

6-8pm

Facebook
Home
Just using Facebook to chat with friends, looking if there’s anything interesting in the newsfeed while getting some assignments done

BORED.
Monday (15 August)

7.30-9.30pm
TV, Home and away, Celebrity  news on E online

Home
Eating pizza while talking to friends
Not bad ‘home and away’ is a pretty interesting drama!
Tuesday (16 August)

2-6pm
Apple website, Researching online for an assignment

Library
Listening to songs from the iPod
Can’t wait to get over and done with my assignment!
Tuesday (16 August)

10-10.30pm

Reading the news on ABC online
Home
Waiting for my food to be ready!
A suspect for the collar bomb hoax has been found! YAY!!
Wednesday (17 August)

6-9pm

Watching TV: Friends and ABC news
Home
Doing some reading for tomorrow’s tutorial!
OMG I love friends and Rachel, just can’t get enough of her and joey and phoebe! OKAY, I just love all of them!
Thursday (18 August)

10-10.30pm
Reading celebrity news on E online
Home
Chatting on skype with my friend while reading the news
Can’t wait for breaking dawn to be out! Edward looks super hot in the stills from the movie!
Friday (19 August)

7-8pm

Facebook, Twitter
Home
Chatting with friends while getting ready to go out
OOPSS I’m getting late!
Saturday (20 August)

4-6pm

Tumblr, Facebook, Twitter
Home
Just reading random stuff!
Just came across a hilarious picture on tumblr!
Monday (22 August)

3-6pm

Reading celebrity news on E online
Home
Drinking hot chocolate while reading all about Kim Kardasian’s wedding!

WOW! I want her gorgeous headpiece!
Tuesday (23 August)

6.30pm- 8pm
Watching TV, Two and a half men and ABC news
Home
Doing my assignments while watching TV
LOVE CHARLIE!



‘Let there be love’ by Oasis is playing in the background while I type this sentence out. I love listening to soothing songs while doing my assignments. Songs are an awesome form of company!

The 'media use diary' assignment is really interesting because it has made me aware of how I have been using the media. I have been spending more time on the internet than on watching TV. I often read the news online, rather than watch it on TV, because I can read the news anytime I want and I feel that I get more information reading it online. A majority of the people surveyed read the news on online newspapers as well. 


The possible reasons we prefer the online ‘newspapers’ compared to printed newspapers, could be as follows. Firstly, online news is free. We do not have to pay for it, as long as we have internet access. Secondly, it is readily available. We can read the news online anytime as long as we have our laptops connected to the internet or internet-enabled phone with us. Thirdly, we help save the environment by helping to cut down the need for papers!


In these two weeks, I spent only 8 hours watching TV. That equates to about 30 minutes per day. The amount of time I spent on the internet was 29 hours! That is about 2 hours per day. I spend approximately 3 times more time using the internet than watching TV. It makes sense because I don’t buy newspapers or magazines so I look online to keep myself up to date on what has been happening in the world. 

From my media use diary, I realize I spend a majority of my time on Facebook and reading online news. I use Facebook to chat with my friends, back in Singapore, hence I use it almost everyday. From the survey conducted, I realized I am not alone. Majority of the people who took the survey, spend most of their time on facebook as well!


I love to blog and have been blogging since I was 15, it’s like an online diary. Well, the blog is dead now, since I have this blog to concentrate on. I don’t really watch videos on YouTube very often and I don’t watch movies online.  I use my Iphone a whole lot, to browse the internet when I’m not at home. I use facebook , tumblr as well as twitter on my Iphone, to check if there is any interesting news being posted as well as to find my way around places. It is really useful being able to browse the internet anytime and anywhere. 

I do not listen much to the radio, the only time I listen is when I am trying to fall asleep and need some company. However, when I was back in Singapore I would listen to the radio almost every night while doing assignments or when I’m in the car and in need of company. I haven’t familiarized myself to the radio programmes here yet, that is the main reason why I have not been listening to much radio here. It’s time to start listening more to the radio programmes!

In a nutshell, I think the internet has been a very important part of our lives for the past few years, and it will continue to be an important part of our lives. 

No comments:

Post a Comment